Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Getting Ready to Wean from the Breast Pump


I think I am ready to wean myself from the breast pump at sixteen months post-partum. Note that I said "wean" and not "self-wean" because so far, P shows no signs of self-weaning. However, his demand for the boob is not as frequent as before.

I love breastfeeding despite the complications I had. Especially so that when we went abroad for three weeks a couple of weeks ago, direct latch proved to be so convenient and helpful. I usually breastfed P before take-off and he'd be asleep during the actual take-off and usually for the rest of the flight. I breastfed him when he got antsy during the shows at Disney World and Kennedy Space Center. Now at home, I breastfeed him after dinner and he falls asleep.

However, despite taking malunggay tablets, drinking malunggay tea and gorging on oatmeal cookies, my pumping output is beyond pitiful. I pump 3x at the office and I hardly come up with half an ounce. So it really makes no sense for me to lug my heavy pumping paraphernalia of parts and cooler with blue ice all the way to the office for half an ounce, or even lesser, a day.

Lest I get mastitis again, which I've read could still happen, my strategy is to drop a session this week, then another session next week. So I guess I won't be pumping on May 10 henceforth.

As for weaning P from the boob, I think I'll keep offering it if he still wants to. Again, I've noticed that he's not demanding more of it naman, and he falls asleep immediately after a few minutes, so I guess he wants it more for comfort rather than for sustenance.

Wish us luck.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...