Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ping Pong

I am hardly athletic. I blame my poor vision since 4th grade, when I started wearing eye glasses. Contacts grossed me out, they still do, even if I wear them occasionally. So I used to joke that I don't play with balls larger than my face (mind you, I made this joke in high school so I'm sure there was no sexual undertone - okay, maybe a little. Ew me.)

When I was in first year HS, our dad suddenly got us a ping-pong table. It was a couple of weeks before the school intrams. After some classmates learned that we have a ping-pong table, I was tasked to represent our color (the years were divided into teams) despite my nonexistent backhand and drive skills. Of course I lost.

But I started playing and playing and playing. For sophomore and junior years, I played doubles. Individually, my partner and I were good, not great. But we devised this sort of dance wherein one will smoothly step back after hitting the ball so the other has enough space to chase the returning ball. I think we were champs both years, if not, our junior year. On our senior tear, "we gave chance to others."



In UP, table tennis was one of my four PEs. I'm proud that I ranked second among the girls in our class.

Then in law school, somebody learned that I used to play ping-pong, so I was asked to represent the school in Conflicts of Law, the intrams among law schools. I resisted because I wasn't playing anymore, but school spirit prevailed. I don't remember if I won any match, just that my last match was against a former Pambansang Palaro player. It was like playing against the wall. I never returned after that.

I just finished watching the medal matches of the Olympics Ladies Singles. I suddenly missed playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...