Saturday, August 11, 2012

Smashing Pumpkins in Manila


I'll forever remember this concert as "buwis-buhay". The concert, set on August 7 (Tuesday), was moved a day later due to the torrential rains. Yet, the next day's weather wasn't better, in fact, our office called off work.

So I was at home while hubby went off to work. I planned to go to Trinoma then ride the MRT to Cubao early, but the crazy rain dissuaded me from going out. At first, hubby said he'd go home early and pick up, but when the roads started to get flooded, he said I should just meet him in Cubao. So I called for a taxi, and after about 30 minutes of waiting, was on the way to Trinoma. But as we approached the intersection of Mindanao Ave. and North Ave., the same was crazy flooded and impassable. I made the taxi go to SM North.

Finally, I made it to Cubao. Hubby texted that he left the car in Shangri-La Mall and took the MRT. If we'll be able to get it after the concert or how we'll go home if not, we did not know.

When we got inside Smart Araneta at a little past 8, most of the seats were empty. I checked Twitter and the band said they were pushing back the show to 9:15pm for the latecomers. True enough, people soon trickled in.

For the first set, they played the whole Oceania album which I've never listened to, nor have a copy of, so I was pretty 0__0 throughout the set haha.

I perked up when they played "Disarm" because that's one of their songs that I grew up with.  By the way, we were seated in Upper Box A, and this was the best my iPhone can do:





Please believe me that's the Smashing Pumpkins haha. (Side note: their bassist Nicole is so hot, playing the guitar in a swishy red dress. In my next life, I want to play the guitar and sing.) Anyway, Billy got the drift that the most of the crowd grew up during the 90s for when he asked who was born after 1987, people laughed and booed. They played around 30 songs but I think I was only familiar with five or six. :) Too bad they didn't play Perfect and Landslide (which I just learned was only a cover). And I found it cute that when they played 1979, a couple of people threw toilet paper rolls. At first I was surprised, then I remembered the music video hehe.
The concert ended a little past 12 midnight and it was POURING outside. Luckily, we nabbed a taxi and hubby decided we should get the car. The ride home was really scary because it was zero visibility and the roads were flooding fast. The weather got to me because I threw up in the car. (Sorry, TMI).

And this is why the Smashing Pumpkins concert will be forever remembered as "buwis buhay". :)



2 comments:

  1. I did the same thing, traffic was so bad, I got on the MRT at Ortigas (the line started on the SIDEWALK!) It was such an awesome show! (As usual, I put my photos up late hehehe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome pics! So you went back for your car sa Ortigas din? The worrywart that I am, I was worried about going home for most of the concert haha. But it was sulit for the less than ten songs that I remember haha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...