Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ramblings of a Green-Eyed Monster


There is this girl whom for blog purposes I will call "Wonder Girl" (hereafter "WG"). She is not a friend, not even an acquaintance, I just learned about her through my friends. Thanks to the social media (read: stalking), I learned more about her wonderful life. She's still living a wonderful life, have just returned from further studies abroad, got married to a fairly attractive man, and snagged a presumably lucrative job overseas.

Compared to her, my life, especially my career, appears lackluster. I mean, I go to work in jeans. L and I got to thinking, should we study again? Should we leave government service and jump into the private sector? We all graduated from the same university, are we wasting our potential while WG is making her way in the world?

But then I thought, above all, I want to be a mother. And I thought of my father, a well-loved and well-respected lawyer and professor in our province, yet I don't see him that way. What I remember about my dad is that he used to write my speeches for school elections until I started writing them myself and he would just proofread, then I ended up writing HIS speeches. Or how he would duck out of the office in his barong tagalaog and watch me in my oratorical contests. Or how he put me through law school, not saying anything when I'd ask for thousands of pesos for my law books.

Yes, WG is living a wonderful life. Yes, I am envious of WG. But I think (really, I hope) this will go away when I'm finally a mommy. #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...