Friday, October 5, 2012

Throwback Multiply: Bar 2007 Memoirs IV


Bar 2012 tomorrow (technically on Sunday, but Bar activities i.e. Send-off commence tomorrow)! Good luck bar examinees! 

Bar Memoirs #7 and 8: Remedial Law and Ethics

Tapusin na ang kaguluhang ito! :D

So makapal-ang-mukha-me (refer to previous memoir) decided to finish the Bar exams. According to statistics, around 200 of those who filed the petition to take the Bar didn't finish it.

Anyhoo, one of the first questions a barista asks when he/she starts to draft a reading schedule is, "To read books or not to read books?" And by books, I mean the thick annotated ones, not the reviewers. My answer is: it depends.

When I was drafting my own reading schedule and checking the books I had on hand, I realized that other than Criminal Procedure, I haven't read an entire book for Remedial Law. Since it has the greatest weight of the subjects, I decided, books it is, despite the fact that it has the longest coverage, too (yep, I believe it is longer than Civil Law even if the former has more  subjects). I also consider Remedial Law as one of my "weak" subjects so go, go, go books! I read Feria Noche for Civil Procedure, Regalado for Special Procedure and Criminal Procedure and the Albano reviewer for the second reading, then Beda notes for pre-week. The first reading took me two to three weeks, and there were days I just stayed in the apartment. There was a time that I realized that the only words I've spoken for the past three days were "Take-out po," after pointing to my desired viand at one of those turo-turos in V. Con. No wonder I was a wreck by September haha!

As for Ethics and Practical Exercises, I failed to follow my game plan. A topnotcher advised that to study legal forms without really studying for legal forms is to try to write at least one pleading before going to bed. Alas, by 10pm, I was comfortably hugging my pillows. So for five days before second reading, I read up Ethics and tried to memorize legal forms (at the same time praying there won't be ridiculous forms like Articles of Incorporation, saksakin niyo na lang ako with my 0.5 Pilot pen kung ganun!)

 The exams were fair and graded fairly. (Syempre nakita ko na ratings ko haha!) The questions about global injunction in Rem and the arbitration clause and clause stipulating a right of first refusal in Ethics had me scratching my head though (I feel those were inserted by the Chairman, di ba he said he had to make the Ethics exam difficult? Hmp!). I encircled the word "clauses" and proceeded to write. Later on, the proctors said it was alright if we would only give the clause itself... turns out the others have written entire contracts. Buti na lang I wasn't that masipag! I don't think it made a difference though as everyone got a line of 9 in Ethics. We love you, lady Justice!

Moral of the memoirs: Be masipag and read books and don't be too masipag to write an entire contract when the question calls for a clause. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...