Monday, March 24, 2014

TwistedHalo


Helena Belmonte, 28-year old model and daughter of Mega Magazine's Lorraine Belmonte, fell from the veranda of her 28th floor condo unit last week. Police ruled it was a suicide.

I don't know Helena personally but I know her LiveJournal username: twistedhalo. I've always liked reading blogs and hers was one of the many I've "stumbled upon." I was 21 then, she and her friends were 16. They were enrolled in private schools and partied in exclusive clubs. They traveled and wore nice clothes. I guess the probinsyana in me lived vicariously through their posts.

I liked her username so much that I used it as my own username when I signed up for Flickr in 2005 or 2006. I again used the name for my previous blog, just "customizing" my blog URL by adding "pink" before "twistedhalo."  I wonder if she noticed if she ever came around to Googling "twistedhalo."

I still followed her Instagram and Twitter years after just because. So I was shocked, even if I am a complete stranger, when I learned about her death. Her godmother, Sari Yap, wrote that Helena has been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder since she was a kid. Her recent posts hinted of depression but I guess no one could have predicted what was coming.

Eternal peace to you, my online namesake.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...