Thursday, June 23, 2016

Viruses and Working Mommy Guilt


I took a leave from work yesterday to take P to the pedia. He developed high fever Friday dawn. His temperature alternated between 38 and 39 degrees. Sunday evening we brought him to the ER. CBC results were negative for dengue. They put this urine catcher on him so we could get a sample for urinalysis, but as the hours ticked by, he was not peeing. We decide to go home. I checked on the urine catcher and the pee was on his diaper. Ugh.

All Sunday we stayed at home and I checked on his diaper from time to time. At around 4PM, he finally peed on it! Hubby brought the sample to the ER. After two hours, the diagnosis is that he has UTI and was prescribed antibiotics. Hence, we decided to bring him to the pedia.

The pedia saw sores in his tonsils and said that he has herpangina, the same virus that causes hand, foot and mouth disease. Thankfully, his fever has disappeared but antibiotics will continue until Sunday. As I prepared to give him his antibiotics Monday evening, I saw red spots on his face. I immediately texted the pedia who said that these will indeed come out. Tuesday though the rash worsened, and after Google-ing, I thought it didn't look like herpangina anymore. Pedia assured me that it was not measles because his vaccine is complete. But it could be roseola or tigdas hangin which was of the same virus family. He was not complaining but he looked kawawa with spots on his face and body.

This morning, the bumps have subsided. His fever has not returned, thank God. But I found myself wishing that I could afford to stay at home and take care of him myself. :( No matter how hard you work at being a good mommy, one bump like this (yes, pun intended) easily erases everything else and you are weighed down by guilt. Hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...