Thursday, June 30, 2016

Parent vs. Mommy



We're having a bit of a snafu with one of my siblings and I've been having long talks with my mother over the phone. As she griped over dealing with my sibling and asked for my help, at one point, I thought, "But you're the parent. Thank God, I'm not a parent." Then, I backpedaled, "HOLY MOLY, I am a PARENT!" See, I've always regarded myself as P's "Mommy" and the word evokes warm hugs and cuddles and laughter. However, a "Parent" is about being strict and disciplining and all those serious stuff. 

My parents were really strict with me growing up. I said "me", because they've become lenient with most of my siblings. My mommy was especially strict that I developed angst and was sort of rebellious towards her (as rebellious as a goody two-shoes could ever be, meh). I've since appreciated their strictness when I got older, thankful that I have two degrees without getting pregnant nor involved in drugs and other vices. However, their being strict was at the expense of fun stuff, like I was not allowed to go to concerts and most summers were spent indoors instead of attending summer camps or classes.

With baby P, I hope to strike a balance between being a "Parent" and a "Cool Mommy". I hope I can afford to travel with him and send him to extra-curricular activities which I think I missed out on (I cannot swim nor ride a bike, phoeey). Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...