Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Loving the Olympus PEN (E-PL1)

I first heard about Olympus PEN cameras from Third World Nerd and Daphne Paez. My initial reaction was, "Oh cute" because the digital cameras look like film cameras. However, my shooting juju was running low so I moved on. Then about a month ago, hubby mentioned that the first models of Olympus PEN cameras are really affordable in Japan. I told him to get some because I kept reading about the cameras in celebrity blogs. Word is, the Olympus PEN is as light as a point-and-shoot camera but produces DSLR-quality photos. I was sold immediately.

A couple of PENs arrived a couple of weeks ago. At first, I was going to try the Olympus E-P1, but it does not have built-in flash.


The Olympus E-P1


So I happily "borrowed" the E-PL1, L for Lite. It's a stripped down version as some of the control buttons were removed. Read this if you relish reading the technical lowdown.

I've used the PEN1 Lite a couple of times but I love it already. It is as light as a point-and-shoot camera but the quality of the photos are top-notch. It also shoots video. I'm still figuring out how to work the controls and functions because these are waaay different from the Nikon and Canon cameras that I'm used to.


My favorite thing is the in-camera Art Filters. The PEN1 Lite has 6.



Normal photo




Pop Art



Soft Focus



Grainy Film



Pin Hole



Diorama



Gentle Sepia


I especially love Pin Hole and Diorama:




Yummy yummy noh? And the camera looks sexy as hell, with the white finish (also available in silver, black, blue, champagne gold and red) and the leatherette grip. I think it's the perfect travel companion when you are lugging ten million bags but still want to take nice photos.

Check out http://lenses4less.multiply.com for affordable pre-owned cameras and lenses from Japan. :)

Now excuse me while I read more about the sexy PEN...

2 comments:

  1. I found you I found you! I'm liking it I'm liking it! New(est) blog I mean!!! Heeheee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look amazing. some photographer just suggest that camera to me ....I think I am going to buy it for my sister :)
    x
    cammi
    http://www.cammilicious.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...