Friday, October 4, 2013

To Hyphenate or Not to Hyphenate?


Notice the surge in blog posts? It's like my laziness button has been switched off. Haha. I hope it lasts.

Before I got married, I thought that I'd go the hyphenated route because I'm proud of my maiden surname and it looked cool. However, one of my officemates who got married a year before me opted to drop her maiden surname because it was too tedious filling up forms. I also read in some forums that some government forms do not recognize the hyphenated surname. Since I get agitated easily and try to stay away from them hasslehoffs, I opted to drop my maiden surname. 

I know some wives do not change their names at all but when I kidded hubby about it, he got mock angry. As a compromise, I did not change my signature which I've had since elementary. Besides, I didn't want to think up of a new signature.

It's been swimmingly fine, but recently, I accessed the Roll in the SC website and I felt sad that my name does not appear beside my father's name. I am now contemplating to switch to a hyphenated surname although I'm not sure if SC will still allow me. Thing is, my hyphenated surname would be long, fourteen characters with the hyphen. Ugh. Anyone out there to convince me to hyphenate?

2 comments:

  1. Heehee, not me, I'm afraid. I share the exact same sentiment: hyphenation = HASSLE HOMES. Sa passport application pa lang, kahit sa pila sa government offices, the thought na I have to line up under A, and my family under P, if I insist on hyphenation - ang hassle. Sa pleadings am hyphenated because I havent had my name changed in the Roll, but legally, everywhere else, I've had my name changed na in all my civil records. Not a downfall of feminism I think, just acknowledging the inconvenience and well, inefficiencies of some government agencies di ba! Kaya para walang stress sa lahat, sige palit na!

    Keep your maiden name when you sign pleadings then. Hyphenate there. Okay lang yon! (At one point, I have to petition SC na, to change my name sa roll though!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping nga you'd reply bru! I think I had to change agad sa SC kasi needed when I had to change here sa office. The guy in SC commented nga why I was dropping my maiden surname, "sayang" daw. I just felt sad and sentimental about not having my name near my father's name sa Roll pero sa totoo lang, ayaw ko din ng hassle! Haha! :) If and when I do sign pleadings ek-ek I'll just spell out my entire name :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...