Tuesday, October 22, 2013

#SugarSmashGin


 Watched the #SugarSmashGin - Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Gin Blossoms - concert last night at the Araneta Coliseum. As usual, I was in the nosebleed section so I will spare everyone with blurred Instagram photos. :P

I grew up with these bands in the 90s so I was quite excited when I learned about the concert. But why why why are the tickets so damn expensive? The Gen Ad ticket set me back a thousand bucks, the next section was already almost 3,000. My friend was able to score a promo for P499 in Gen Ad and I heard they slashed prices, but still, darn expensive. In fact, the Upper Box of Araneta was deserted. Sigh.

The concert started at 8PM though the ticket said 7PM. Color It Red opened the concert - yeah, so 90s. The first band to perform was Smash Mouth. They played for an entire hour, playing hits like All Star and I'm a Believer. Then, we waited for another hour before Sugar Ray played. All was forgiven when Mark McGrath played up to the crowd. They played fewer songs than Smash Mouth but the audience loved them because Mark gave entertaining spiels. I loved When It's Over - especially since Mark said he wrote it after getting his heart broken one summer. Then it was another 30minutes or so wait before Gin Blossoms took the stage - at that time, it was already 12 midnight! Some people have left so Gin Blossoms played to a sad looking crowd. I felt bad because (1) the lead singer said they just arrived after a 30-hour flight from Texas and (2) I think they played the best, it was like listening to a CD.

The concert ended at around 1:30AM. Tuesday morning. Gah. I can't remember if it was Mark or the singer of Smash Mouth who said they were coming back in 2014. I hope the organizers do a better job by then by starting early and minimizing the set-up time between the bands. This 90s girl can no longer watch concerts later than 11PM! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...