Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Ovarian Cyst/New Growth: Part I


I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here but years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome, which made it difficult for us to conceive. I was put on metformin and folic acid and underwent work-up. We finally conceived while we were on a break from work-up.

I admit I was delinquent with going to my OB after giving birth. I guess as a mom you're more concerned with your baby's health. Apart from my 6-month post partum check up and Pap smear, I did not return to my OB.

Recently, H and I were talking about baby # 2. I started taking folic acid on my own and charting my period again. Early June, my period was late but the pregnancy tests turned up negative. Then, my period came on June 3 and lasted only 2 days. Since I remembered that an ultrasound was better on days 4-7 of the period, I went to a new OB recommended by my office mate. I went before going to the office, thinking that the ultrasound would be quick and I'd be put on metformin again.

The OB had her own ultrasound machine. She took her time then directed me a nearby lab with a bigger machine because my left ovary had a fairly large cyst. I went, waited for hours and missed lunch. When I went back to the OB, here's the kicker - I needed an operation to remove the cyst and possibly my left ovary. Worse, she recommended that I undergo a tumor markers blood test which I later Google-d meant to check for cancer! I said I will get a second opinion and ended up crying outside as I called H. I ended up not going to ths office anymore and filed a sick leave.

Days after, I went back to my original OB and she ordered another ultrasound. She said that the cyst still needs to be removed as it was fairly big. We also had to wait for the result of the blood test whicj took a week! Thankfully, it was negative. But my OB said it had to be determined during the operation if my ovary has to be removed or not. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...