Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Root Canal


This year is turning out to be a year of visits to doctors. Aside from my pre-natal check-ups with the OB, I've been seeing a dentist a lot this year. Google says dental problems do crop up while pregnant.

I have a fixed bridge and the tooth where it is attached to has become infected. Root canal was recommended. I hightailed it to the OB to ask for clearance and she said okay because I'm already in my second trimester. I thought of suffering through the pain but the dentist said the tooth could become more infected, hence, more painful. Besides, I have five more months to go. I don't want a toothache while in labor.

I had the procedure done this morning. The bridge had to be removed thus there was more drilling than usual. The dentist remarked that since I've been throwing up, the acidity in my saliva might have loosened the bridge, thus, the infection. 

The first dentist I went to wanted to use diluted epinephrine, hubby coaxed me to go to another, who used lidocaine, which is more preggy-friendly. The anesthesia injection hurt a bit but the actual root canal ekek HURT LIKE HELL despite the numbing. I could not help but cry out loud. Hubby was in the reception area and I was about to motion for the assistants to call him so I saw him through my tears. Funny thing was, he was holding both my hands and I needed one hand to signal if something hurts so I had to wrestle my hand back hehe. After that, there were more screwing and drilling and slight pinches of pain.

I have to go back this week-end to replace the bridge and a couple of weeks after to have something something installed. Almost five hours after, the area feels a bit sore but I've managed to eat lunch and merienda by chewing on the other side of my mouth. 

Sigh. I thought after the nausea has gone, the throwing up has stopped, everything will be smooth sailing. However, I'll gladly endure all these aches now in return for a healthy and normal baby. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...