Saturday, September 6, 2014

Eraserheads in Esquire

I was in first year high school when the Eraserheads broke out in the local scene. High school angst meshed well with the unreciprocated love and obscenities that is "Pare Ko." Most of the boys then started creating their bands and Eheads tapes were staples during Kris Kringle.

"Minsan" will always remind me of a fight that some of us girls had at the end of freshman year. I can't remember the specifics now - but I think it involved common crushes. Sophomore girls helped us patch things up. I remember there was a picture of us that day all lined up in a row with eyes swollen from crying. A day or two after, one of the girls wrote us a letter and she wrote the lyrics of "Minsan", tweaking a few words, referring to the fight.

Funnily, Eraserheads was not as "famous" anymore when I got to UP in 1998. I can't even remember watching them in UP Fair. When they disbanded in 2002, I was also graduating. Reports say that Ely bowed out of the group by texting everyone that he has "graduated" from the group.

Then came the reunion on August 2008. Hubby scrambled to get us tickets. It felt surreal. Goosebumps erupted on my arms and all the lyrics kept coming back. I was in high school again. Then the concert was cut short.

We were there again for their March 7, 2009 concert. Frankly, and even if I am not the best singer out there, I can say that they do not sound that great live. Or maybe because it was an open venue. But we were there for the words, and for the feelings they evoked.



This week, Esquire magazine featured the Eraserheads on the cover. There is also a CD inside with two new songs after a decade.


Quick-thinking hubby reserved copies and I picked them up last Thursday. They were a tad heavy, it was raining and I'm pregnant hehe. I waited for hubby before opening a copy but I was already asleep when he got home.

The next day, he took the CD out and left for work. Drat! Hehe. So I contented myself with Erwin Romulo's article about the London concert. Boy, that dude can write and he can write long. I felt like taking a nap after finishing the article haha. I read it while listening to the Eraserheads on Spotify and balong was kicking up a storm. Spoiler: Ely wants to re-record Ultraelectromagneticpop, they are not keen to record a brand-new album, but they are open to releasing a new song or two.

Finally listened to "Sabado" and "1995" on the way to dinner last night. They still have that distinct Eheads sound. And they still make me feel like I'm back in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...